SeaTalks about Coastal Navigation

Add a new question or Discussion

* - required fields

Please signin first
Maximum 15 words.
Add your question or discussion in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your question or comment up or down depending on its usefulness and clarity. These are always editable.
Posted 2018, Mar 20 01:17
Why is the tidal stream HW +5 at the hours when we are in daylights saving time? Would that not put it at the HW +4 hours?
Posted 2018, Apr 22 04:28
On the Breton Plotter example, shouldn't we take into account the annual decrease in variation for the year we are in when calculating our magnetic bearing?
Posted 2018, Apr 23 03:14
If deviation is a function of the magnetic heading heading then if we know the true heading we can calculate the ships compass (true + variation +deviation). However if we have the ships compass reading and we know the variation but we wish to have the true heading, is it possible to find the true heading? I'm not so sure because we won't know the deviation (since we don't know the magnetic heading which is necessary to calculate the deviation). Is this a correct assessment?
Posted 2018, Apr 23 12:03
In Module 3: Currents and Tides, the instructions specify to add leeway to the heading first whereas here in this section one add lee way after the heading and current. There may be a contradiction here that needs to be resolved.
Posted 2018, May 27 17:47
Latest download for Chart 12354 is the 46th Ed, Feb 2017 and was last updated on 4/27/2018. Stone reef lighthouse is now a Fl 2.5s 22 ft 7M light. So depending on what version of Chart 12354 we are using, some of the references to lights in the example problems may not be the same. As a note, the fix plotted puts us about 1.5 nm off our DR course of 180 psc or 164 T. If you have us start off of Hammonasset Pt and head 180 psc, the fix is a little closer to our DR.
Posted 2018, Jul 29 00:58
In the last exercise it's said that the true heading is 47º. According to the last deviation table, the 50º compass heading gives us an approximate deviation of 4º. If we apply M = C + D, we would obtain 54º M. Now to obtain the true heading, we should subtract the corresponding variation of 14, which would give us 40º T. Why 47º T?
Posted 2018, Nov 23 00:15
I would submit that in the anecdote, at the beginning of the unit,the illustration given ( not being able to enter San Francisco bay). is a result of a current . Tidal current to be sure.
Posted 2019, May 28 03:55
I don't see any reference to a chart to use for the questions in the last chapter of this module? Terry
Posted 2019, Jun 05 22:42
To confirm I am understanding correctly, 295T ='s 295 True?
Posted 2019, Nov 09 18:41
The animated on the Chart Symbols page that points out and explains a series of chart markings is really great! I plan to use it to teach our Sea Scouts.
41 - 50 of 86 threads