SeaTalks about Rules of the Nautical Road

Add a new question or Discussion

* - required fields

Please signin first
Maximum 15 words.
Add your question or discussion in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your question or comment up or down depending on its usefulness and clarity. These are always editable.
Posted 2020, Sep 04 14:08
Is there a flag that you can raise to let the others know that you are Not Under Command ? for any reason .
Posted 2020, Oct 21 13:39
this seems to be a very unusual and rare instance to turn Up to avoid. brought on by not taking maneuver action earlier. every circumstance is different and a "judgment call". The reason we'd recommend an immediate turn to port for Blue is because it would be turning away from Red. Trying to duck (going behind) is risky because you are turning towards Red and depending on your speed you could hit Red. A turn to port will allow Red to give room without any risk of collision.
Posted 2021, Jan 11 20:25
Overtaking rule states: (d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until she is finally past and clear. How is 'finally past and clear' does it mean once the overtaking vessel is less than 22.5º abaft the beam of the overtaken vessel, which would put it abeam, or when the overtaken vessel is later 22.5º abaft the previously overtaking vessel.
Posted 2021, Jun 26 17:01
Ok Now Im confused. I thougt my analogy of wind blowing to right has right of way- but now the opposite tack scenario says the opposite and the port tack has to give way What am I missing? Don't give up on me yet - Im a total beginner! Had an hour long chat with my Dad earlier about the aerodynamics of wind on wings and sails, so theres still hope for me!
Posted 2021, Jul 07 14:18
Is a powerboat adrift to be considered in the Not Under Command category?
Posted 2021, Sep 28 01:42
It says: > Power Vessels (less than 50m) One all around white plus red and green. While rules say: A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit: (i) a masthead light forward; (ii) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such light but may do so; (iii) sidelights; and (iv) a sternlight. One all round + sidelights is for vessels less than 12 m. Am I missing something?
Posted 2022, Apr 09 20:23
Is there any guidance to help judge what would be an acceptable CPA for different circumstances? It seems reasonable to assume that one one would give much wider berth to a huge cargo ship than would be necessary between two ~45-foot pleasure boats. E.g. I have no idea if a 0.2 NM CPA in five minutes with another vessel actually warrants a radio call to confirm intentions (or in fact if it even warrants any action at all).
Posted 2022, Sep 09 13:44
Is the definition shown for windward/leeward the standard or official one? The navigation rules 12(b) states "For the purposes of this Rule the windward side shall be deemed to be the side opposite to that on which the mainsail is carried", suggesting 'windward' and 'leeward' are sides of the boat, not directions to and from the wind.
Posted 2023, Mar 21 16:36
I keep scoring 5 out of 6 yet no explanation of which I missed and why.
Posted 2023, Apr 26 17:49
Say you are using the traffic lane and motoring, and a much bigger and faster ship is overtaking. How do you give way while staying in the lane? Being a small vessel, can you generally just move outside the lane to avoid?
21 - 30 of 36 threads