SeaTalks about Sails and Sail Trim

Add a new question or Discussion

* - required fields

Please signin first
Maximum 15 words.
Add your question or discussion in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your question or comment up or down depending on its usefulness and clarity. These are always editable.
Posted 2022, Jun 04 12:53
"That's a good rule of thumb and will keep you out of trouble. You can also predict from this rule that the fairlead should move forward if the jib sail is reefed. If the jib sheet is eased and the sail goes out and forward then the fairlead should also go forward. But this is a completely fine tuning adjustment and most people, even racers, tend not to bother with this adjustment." I'm am uncertain how the geometric center yields the prediction of the fairlead going forward as the jib is eased (since the geometry of the sail is not changing? Also when reefed it would seem the center moves lower and forward and thus it isn't intuitive to me that the fairlead needs to move forward?
Posted 2022, Aug 27 16:11
In regards to traveler position: does 'lower' mean to leeward? Thanks
Posted 2022, Aug 27 22:04
In Re: to Fig. 5.4 Should the reefed mainsail's COP be the closest distance from the mast since its' height of COP is least? Thanks
Posted 2022, Oct 16 16:08
Near bottom of this introduction page, it is stated, "This course will focus on the handling of symmetrical spinnakers with spinnaker poles. Another course discusses asymmetrical spinnakers in great detail." I have signed up for the Master Rank bundle and have completed many of the courses, including all the relate to sail trim, and have not come across the course being referred to which discusses the use of asymmetrical spinnakers. Given that my personal interests are in bluewater cruising, and not racing, I'm very interested to know where I can learn more about asymmetrical spinnakers within the NauticEd courses. Thanks
Posted 2022, Nov 22 05:27
Hi, can anyone help me understand the difference between these end-for-end sequences? "The spinnaker is first released from the outboard jaws of the pole. Then disconnect the pole from the mast, and then spin the pole end - for – end. Lift the outboard end of the pole to catch the new guy (old sheet) and close the jaws to capture it. The inboard pole fitting is then placed on the mast ring to secure the pole and complete the gybe. Some sailors prefer to first release the inboard end from the mast ring and then place the opposite end of the pole immediately on the new sheet before attaching the other end to the mast. " These sound the same - release outboard end, release inboard end, attach outboard end, attach inboard end. Also, I don't understand the phrase 'place the opposite end of the pole immediately on the new sheet' - should this instead say 'new guy'?
Posted 2023, Jun 02 21:28
I've seen these but not sure what their purpose is (to stabilise the mast?) or how they work.
Posted 2023, Jun 26 16:17
One issue is whether you can adjust a winged sail to accommodate wind sheer. I was thinking you could build some typical amount of sail twist into the sail structure, but that would only work on one tack. So it would have to be adjustable. I'm guessing you can't, but the benefits outweigh the costs. (Or are there winged sails where you CAN adjust the twist?)
Posted 2023, Dec 19 18:30
Interesting the picture shows the first hitch going through both rounds, yet the animation shows the way I learned. I would think it would be much harder to release the knot with it being like the picture.
Posted 2024, Feb 22 00:18
The idea of getting the tell tails to fly paralell is good if you are going to windward. The tell tails are positioned at the forward section of the sail near the Leach and give you a good indication of the draught over this area. When you start reaching the draught moves further aft in the sail and the tell tails will start to give a false reading of the most effective sail trim. This can most easily be seen by watching the boat speed as you ease the sail the sail out passed where the tell tails indicate where the trim should be. Moving the fairlead forward will also help to control the top of the sail by closing the Leach.
41 - 49 of 49 threads