SeaTalks about Boat Mechanical Systems

Add a new question or Discussion

* - required fields

Please signin first
Maximum 15 words.
Add your question or discussion in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your question or comment up or down depending on its usefulness and clarity. These are always editable.
Posted 2015, Oct 16 12:41
How much diesel is used by a standard engine for a 30 foot boat during an hour at lets say 2500 rpm?
Posted 2016, Nov 06 11:12
The test will ask you which consumes more oxygen, a diesel or gasoline engine. I couldn't find the answer anywhere, and I couldn't verify this with any other source, but the answer it's looking for is that the diesel consumes more oxygen.
Posted 2017, May 21 21:38
I remember from long ago on gas-powered cabin cruisers, it was important to run a fan for 30 seconds before firing up the engine, to remove any fuel fumes. Does that to apply to diesel systems? Has that need for venting been eliminated by technological improves?
Posted 2017, May 21 21:41
Do modern marine diesel engines include any electronic components, like an engine computer, voltage regulator, etc?
Posted 2017, Oct 03 04:47
In Canada, private institutions are not required by law to take your used oil, though many use the old oil to heat their shop in winter and therefore are only too happy to take your oil too (more true the further north you go). If not, public garages (bus depot, fire station etc) will either be equipped to do so, or will have a recycling station very near by (by "near by", I mean like on the far side of their parking lot). No matter what country you are in, dumping in the water is very illegal, can net you stiff fines, even get your boat impounded, so ask your marina where the nearest recycling or disposal facility is at. Oil Absorbent Pads (AKA mechanic's diapers) are magical: they are far more than expensive thick shop towels. If you have some oil in the bilge floating on water, use these: They float on top of the water only absorbing petroleum products without absorbing any water. I don't know what kind of black magic they are made from, but they work, and should be included with every boats engine spares.
Posted 2018, Sep 01 00:28
I like the idea of the siphon but I find that the problem of spillage occurs as I take the siphon out of the tank and try and keep things clean - any suggestions?
Posted 2020, Jun 29 15:13
It would be handy to see the use of the siphon all they through it’s use. Does it stop filling on its own once tank is full? How do you clear the line of fuel once finished? How to best clean the siphon and store without dripping fuel in its storage location?
Posted 2020, Sep 21 11:51
I belong to Windward Sailing Club in Newport Beach Ca. We have 15 sailboats from 28 to 44 feet which gives me a great opportunity to experience difference boat sizes, manufactures and systems. Recently on a 4 day trip to Catalina Island on a Beneteau 36, I ran the diesel engine to get hot hot for showers. After 20 minutes I was surprised to see a diesel sheen around the hull emanating from my exhaust. I immediately shut down the engine to allow the sheen to dissipate and then cut our trip short thinking that there was a problem with the engine running to rich. Has anyone experienced this before? Any solutions I could use next time?
Posted 2022, Mar 12 17:45
A friend of mine showed me that you could change the secondary and not need bleeding , To do this I fill the replacement fuel filter with fuel before screwing it on. Is this not a way to change the secondary and avoid having to bleed the system.
Posted 2022, Mar 28 18:58
here's a video that explains the mechanics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X81wSVDXf9c
1 - 10 of 11 threads