SeaTalks about Coastal Navigation

Add a new question or Discussion

* - required fields

Please signin first
Maximum 15 words.
Add your question or discussion in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your question or comment up or down depending on its usefulness and clarity. These are always editable.
Posted 2016, May 01 23:07
There is an annual yacht race, CYC, from San Diego to Mission Bay. The fleet rafts up in Mariner's Basin overnight. A couple of late arrivals, cruising class, tied up on one end assuming there was plenty of water under their keel. Late that night masts and rigging tangled as the tide went out. Do not assume there is enough depth for your boat when rafting up.
Posted 2016, May 02 01:54
I have various TR Charts but I'm unfamiliar with 12354? Do I order it on line?
Posted 2016, Jun 22 17:35
On questions 4 and 6 on the quiz questions, the answers uses a triangle to show the GPS fix position on the chart. I thought the triangle was used for an estimated position (Dead Reconing + set + drift). Shouldn't the circle be used for a fix via GPS?
Posted 2016, Jun 28 05:24
I have always used UTM coordinates to navigate on land - and the was having a hell of a time remembering which was which with latitude and longitude. The wife said it's the way you're mouth goes. When you say latitude your mouth stretches out flat, when you say longitude your mouth orients up and down. Anyway, if you exaggerate how you say it you will remember, and look stupid. A win-win.
Posted 2016, Aug 31 21:37
I do not understand this question. Firstly what is a FALL? it isn't in the terms needed to know on the previous page. The question says that at 11.55 the high water is 4m but the table shows 3.4m at 9.25 and proceeds to drop to 1.1m at 15.13. Using the information in the previous pages on how to calculate these problems i'm not understanding why the tide would go up in 2.5 hrs and using that information i would deduct 4m-1.1 to get my height of tide. Sorry but i'm lost. Also i am i supposed to use the PDF Tidal curve at the beginning of this test for all questions or am i supposed to use the ones in the almanac book?
Posted 2016, Aug 31 21:55
I do not understand this question. Firstly what is a FALL? it isn't in the terms needed to know on the previous page. The question says that at 11.55 the high water is 4m but the table shows 3.4m at 9.25 and proceeds to drop to 1.1m at 15.13. Using the information in the previous pages on how to calculate these problems i'm not understanding why the tide would go up in 2.5 hrs and using that information i would deduct 4m-1.1 to get my height of tide. Sorry but i'm lost. Also i am i supposed to use the PDF Tidal curve at the beginning of this test for all questions or am i supposed to use the ones in the almanac book?
Posted 2016, Sep 01 18:39
Your question on LW differences uses the MHWS of +0.2 to add to the low water of 0.5. Your answer was 0.7 but i thought i was supposed to use the reference of +0.5 under the MLWN to give an answer of 1m. Agai, am i not understanding something.
Posted 2016, Nov 06 12:28
how do track and bearing match up with course over ground and heading vector? are they different ?
Posted 2016, Nov 08 03:42
Does HDG MAG in the table = (1) compass heading of the ship or does it mean (2) the magnetic heading (with deviation removed)? It would seem to me problematic if it were (2) because the ships compass doesn't given you the magnetic heading and you have no way of directly measuring the magnetic heading to determine the deviation. Futhermore, in the example, why does one compensate for deviation on a HAND HELD (caps for emphasis) compass reading since in the previous section on deviation it was stated that hand held compasses are less affected than the ship's compass?
Posted 2016, Nov 08 03:48
If you have a "cocked hat" fix... when computing/drawing new tracks, determining new courses, do you approximate the center of the cocked hat as the starting point for the new tracks and courses?
11 - 20 of 86 threads