Please help: one of these is wrong…

Please help: one of these is wrong…
Posted 2017, Nov 23 05:06
Please help: one of these is wrong, but I can't figure on my own. If you solve for current and course first and add leeway after, as per the given solution it's 6.25Kts, 40°, but if you add for leeway first and add current for course after, as per module 4 practical example, it's 6.5Kts, 42°, and I really don't have enough knowledge at this point to argue one or the other. And I realize that over a 2 hour trip, it's not that significant, but I'd like to be practicing the correct way right off the start. Please help. Thanks.
Add reply
1 0

Replies

Reply 2017, Nov 27 08:17
After going back and reading a bunch, I figured out where my trouble is coming from. In Module 3, 4 and 5 the triangle is labelled (and the desired COG is in even different) differently each time! My head was exploding. But I'm good now. According to "Labelling Convention" The vectors are Current Leeway = COG, with Heading being the angle the boat is/was pointing to get there, But all of the following are mostly acceptable. Vectors should be: 1: "Current" or "Rate and Set" (-->>>--), 2: "COG", "CMG", or "Track"(-->>--), 3: "Leeway" (-->--); and then an adjustment angle to give you your vessels "Heading" (called final Heading in Module 5), also labelled with -->-- (See module 3, though I much prefer --=>-- (looks like a little boat, shows me its the heading and not part of the vector solution...so shoot me for breaking with a convention that uses the same symbol for two different angles...) In comparison: Module 3, the vector triangle is made of Current, COG and Leeway, with the free angle labelled "Heading". Yes, OK Module 4, the vector triangle is made of Current, Heading, and Track, with "Leeway" being both the free angle and desired COG!! HUH?? Not OK. Module 5, the vector triangle is made of Set&Drift, Desired Track, and Heading, with the "Leeway" added in after for "Final Heading"(free angle). Um...ya, not perfect but it works. SO, according to that I deduce the examples in Module 3 are correct (in principle at least), with only measurement error, Module 5 is mostly correct, except that the vector labelled heading is actually the leeway, and after the leeway angle is removed you have the heading, so no need to call it "final heading", and again, some measurement error (I suspect) in the given answer. BUT Module 4 (specifically leg 3 of the practical example) is just plane WRONG. On the same page is stated "Leeway line is applied after current and is downwind x degrees from the track line. Thus, your course over ground is on the leeway line", however in the example, the COG is not in fact on the leeway line, but on the heading angle line (because it's mislabelled it appears to be right, but it isn't...) Here are the correct solutions for the examples in Module 3, 4 and 5, figured to 2 decimals, solved with a calculator. Module 3a: Given: Heading 082°, Speed through water 6kts, current 1.5kts 140°T, then COG is 93.46 at 6.93kts Module 3b: Given: Track/COG 072°, Speed through water 6kts, current 1.5kts 140°T, then desired Leeway is 60.03, giving a Desired Heading of 50.03°T (not 48°T heading as given in the solution...sloppy measuring perhaps since the diagram is labeled correctly?) Module 4: Given: Track/COG 056°, Speed through water 5kts, current of 1.5kts 085°T, then Desired Leeway is 47.64, giving a Desired Heading of 57.64°T, 6.26kts resultant SOG Module 5: Given: Track/COG 045°, Speed through water 5kts, current of 2kts 090°T, then Desired Leeway is 28.57, giving a Desired Heading of 38.57°T (not 40°T heading as given in the solution...), 6.21kts resultant SOG. Enjoy.
0 0
1 - 1 of 1 replys

Add reply

* - required fields

Please signin first
Add your reply in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your reply up or down depending on its usefulness the clarity. Your comments are always editable.