Wind Angles

Wind Angles
Posted 2017, May 18 14:47
The image of the wind meter has a red curve on the top left and a green curve on the top right. The tool tip for both of them says "Angles show the direction of the wind relative to the boat." but I don't understand that. Could you explain it to me differently?
Add reply
1 0

Replies

Reply 2017, May 18 14:50
Ignore red and green. That just shows port and starboard. Ok so the small arrow shows where the wind is relative to the boat. If it was at 90 degrees on the green (starboard side) then if you are standing on the boat facing forward, the wind would be hitting your right ear. Wind angle is where the wind comes from compared to the boat.
3 0
Reply 2017, May 18 15:29
Thanks!
1 0
Reply 2019, Jul 06 19:20
Personally I would find it more intuitive if the boat rotated and the wind stayed constant at 12 o'clock. Other graphics thru'out seem to show wind at other than 12 o'clock and it bothers. Is that just me?
1 0
1 - 3 of 3 replys

Add reply

* - required fields

Please signin first
Add your reply in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your reply up or down depending on its usefulness the clarity. Your comments are always editable.