2, 3, 4, . . . .n lines of position

2, 3, 4, . . . .n lines of position
Posted 2016, Dec 10 17:59
Curious to know if anyone has any opinion on how many lines of position generally suffice for a reasonable fix? I suppose technically two is sufficient assuming perfect accuracy but lets say you had 4 as opposed to 3.. would it help that much?
Add reply
0 0

Replies

Reply 2017, Nov 22 01:43
It depends on your distance from where you are taking your fix and what you consider reasonable. I learned to sail in the Yellowknife bay, and at the entrance to Yellowknife Bay are many many submerged rocks, and simultaneously, not many good places to take a fix off of. I bought a GPS because I felt that a "reasonable fix“ was impossible in those circumstances. But most days I didn't even bring it because I was staying in the safety of the bay, where a "reasonable fix" was simple line of sight (didn't even bother with a hand bearing compass, I just looked around with the MKI EYE). Enough fixes that you are confident that your boat, and everyone on it, is safe: I've read about dogleg coral cuts where all the fixes in the world won't replace a man up the mast, and I've read about sandy lagoons where no fixes are required. Anyone who says "2 is enough" or "6 is too many" simply hasn't sailed in varied enough locations is all.
0 0
1 - 1 of 1 replys

Add reply

* - required fields

Please signin first
Add your reply in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your reply up or down depending on its usefulness the clarity. Your comments are always editable.