Head on to several boats

Head on to several boats
Posted 2023, Apr 26 17:56
In taking an intro lesson, we had a couple cases coming head on to two or three sailboats motoring on parallel tracks (side by side). This made me pretty anxious and it wasn't clear to me what should be done since the grouped boats have to communicate with each other to maneuver. In one case we passed between at what seemed a bit close quarters to me. In the other case we steered away. I didn't feel that I understood how to make the decision in general.
Add reply
0 0

Replies

Reply 2023, Apr 26 19:09
If they were motoring and you were sailing then they are "supposed" to giveway and give you plenty of room. You should loudly announce your "rights" - "UNDER SAIL PLEASE GIVE WAY". If they are not reacting, then it is your responsibility to not cause an accident and thus you must get out of the way to avoid a collision.
0 0
1 - 1 of 1 replys

Add reply

* - required fields

Please signin first
Add your reply in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your reply up or down depending on its usefulness the clarity. Your comments are always editable.