Ex 1-2 incorrect heading in the answer?

Ex 1-2 incorrect heading in the answer?
Posted 2021, Nov 25 00:02
Water track direction according to the answer is 118, leeway according to the answer is 10. But somehow the final heading is 106, how so? Isn’t it suppose to be 118 - 10 = 116?
Add reply
2 0

Replies

Reply 2023, Feb 09 14:37
I think the error is in the answer key's leeway value. It should be 12 given that the final heading will be either 106 or 108 depending on whether you calculate TWA as being closes to 90 vs. 45. With TWD 90, TWA for these headings will be either 16 or 18. Neither of these is close at all to TWA 90. TWA 45 is the closes value in the leeway table, so the leeway value should be 12. Making 106 the correct final heading. With that low of a wind angle I would assume that leeway drops off quite a bit as you approach the eye of the wind, just as you don't have leeway when going dead down wind 180. But given the leeway table provided with no entry for zero (or should the TWA 180 value be seen as the same as TWA 0?), the TWA 45 leeway value seems like the correct answer. I guess we assume we are motoring and not sailing in this situation as we aren't addressing the reality that you would need to be tacking back and forth if sailing with this wind angle.
0 0
1 - 1 of 1 replys

Add reply

* - required fields

Please signin first
Add your reply in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your reply up or down depending on its usefulness the clarity. Your comments are always editable.