Second Example - Where is the scale

Second Example - Where is the scale
Posted 2020, Sep 22 15:39
I was trying to follow the example of a journey from Namley Harbour to Mutton Head, but could not find a scale to measure distances on the chart. Is this an ommission or am I to guess at the chart scale. Ie same as US chart 12345? Thanks!
Add reply
1 0

Replies

Reply 2020, Nov 17 05:04
The scale on any chart is the latitude. 1 degree = 60 nm, 1 minute = 1 nm. This is in the course material. Module 9 - Latitude and Longitude.
0 1
Reply 2021, Feb 17 20:32
Unless I am missing something there is no information on the pdf print that tells you which chart is in use or the scale and you cant see any latitude or longitude info, so you can't use it to plot the example yourself.
0 0
Reply 2021, Feb 19 01:27
Grant - agree with what you say, but there are no markings on the PDF that we can use to determine the scale, and hence determine the distance between the latitude lines. Based on the mark on the web page for the same example (1.5 nm south of the beacon), you can use your dividers to walk off the distance between the latitude lines to determine that, at the map's scale, there are 6 nm between latitude lines. Once you have that, you can do everything else. So it's possible to do the exercise; just requires a little ingenuity. Would be easier if there was a proper scale on the map though. I remember my Grade 9 geography teacher beating it into my head - "A proper map requires 3 things: a north arrow, a scale, and a legend". Still remember that 38 years later, so I guess she was successful.
0 0
Reply 2021, Feb 19 02:48
Hi all, Apologies - you are all correct. There was no scale on that chart. We fixed that. Now when you download the PDF there is a scale to the left.
1 0
1 - 4 of 4 replys

Add reply

* - required fields

Please signin first
Add your reply in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your reply up or down depending on its usefulness the clarity. Your comments are always editable.