SeaTalks about Sailing Maneuvers

Add a new question or Discussion

* - required fields

Please signin first
Maximum 15 words.
Add your question or discussion in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your question or comment up or down depending on its usefulness and clarity. These are always editable.
Posted 2015, Aug 12 13:04
I'm trying to clear this very simple question: the True,or the Apparent Wind Speed should be taken in consideration for reefing ? Again,another table here and no clear answer...Reaching,or running with 23 apparent and the boat speed 12 knots will result to about 30 knots TW. Close hauling at 20 kts apparent and boat speed 7 kts result about 15 kts TW. Where is the Truth ?
Posted 2017, Apr 06 17:16
Why does sail area presented to wind decrease as heel angle increases? Is it that "vertical" sail area presented to wind decreases with heel but total sail area presented to wind does not change?
Posted 2017, Sep 15 19:27
The last paragraph in the section 'Unfurling Head Sail' refers to dropping the headsail if needed by releasing the halyard; surely one would simply re-furl the sail? Maybe this paragraph needs to be in the section 'Raising the Head Sail'. It may be an editing issue, but it's a little confusing. Thanks.
Posted 2019, Sep 19 02:04
I can't get the NED to work, any suggestions?
Posted 2019, Oct 29 21:34
Perhaps I haven't adequately absorbed previous information given about how a boat will act without the sails up, but I find myself wanting to know why the method chosen in each wind scenario is optimal. The instruction tells us what to do in each case, but not why. Also, I'm not clear on how a headsail and the mainsail react to wind differently, if in fact they do. Sorry to ask this if it's just a matter of my reviewing previous material.
Posted 2019, Nov 04 16:03
At the bottom of the page, the TIP: Don't you mean to say that setting up the dock lines from boat cleats should be put UNDER the lifelines rather than around and over?
Posted 2020, Jan 04 13:57
In the graphics and animation the apparent wind arrow is shown pointing more toward the stern of the boat compared with the true wind arrow. For example, when close hauled, the apparent wind is felt more toward the bow of the boat but the direction of the wind in the graphic shows the apparent wind arrow pointing toward the stern of the boat.
Posted 2021, Mar 14 23:42
When flaking the mainsail, I was taught to align the battens on top of the boom. I suppose that makes it neater and it's easier to put the cover over the sail and boom, but in the video, the sailor did not put the battens on top of the boom. I wonder if there's a reason for that?
Posted 2022, Jun 03 09:37
Just a little thought. You suggested that beat was from being beaten up by the wind. My guess is that beat comes from old-Norse. I come from Iceland and our language is very old. In Icelandic when you sail close haul (beat), you say that you are “beita” or “beita upp í vindinn” (=to beat up into the wind). We have always sailed through the ages and these words are very old in our language. The old Norse vikings travelled much to Scotland, Ireland and England, so maybe the word traveled that way!
Posted 2022, Oct 20 14:55
COP is not defined on the page. What is the acronym?
1 - 10 of 11 threads