SeaTalks about Sails and Sail Trim

Add a new question or Discussion

* - required fields

Please signin first
Maximum 15 words.
Add your question or discussion in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your question or comment up or down depending on its usefulness and clarity. These are always editable.
Posted 2017, Apr 23 08:45
Hi Team. I've had a couple of occasions where animations either did not appear on the web page or appeared but wouldn't run. If either of these things happen, first check to see that you are using one of the recommended browsers, Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Simply refresh (reload) the page and that will almost always fix it. If that fails, close the browser and re-start it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser. If that doesn't work, re-start the computer. If that doesn't work, try another computer, iPad or Smart-Phone. If that doesn't work, contact NauticEd. Computers are like some people. They have a mind of their own. Most of the time it will be software that's causing the issue and re-loading will fix it. Rarely its the hardware. Occasionally servers have a mind warp (they are also computers). In that case reporting the issue to NauticEd staff will enable them to check it out and track down the problem.
Posted 2017, May 18 14:47
The image of the wind meter has a red curve on the top left and a green curve on the top right. The tool tip for both of them says "Angles show the direction of the wind relative to the boat." but I don't understand that. Could you explain it to me differently?
Posted 2017, Oct 03 08:23
Regarding photos of loading the winch with thumbs pointing towards the winch: I was always taught to load it with thumbs pointing towards myself to prevent them from getting sucked into the winch should you take a gust or a bump (rope pulled into the winch is more likely to be pulled out of your hand before your had gets sucked in if your pinky is facing the winch). Someone once told me "Who's thumbs do I love? Mine Mine Mine" with thumbs pointing back at yourself. After a look around the web maybe it's not so big a deal as I've been led to believe since I can only find one place where it's mentioned specifically: https://www.ltdsailing.com/caribbean-sailing-school/asa-101-proper-winch-technique-with-ltd-caribbean-sailing-school/
Posted 2017, Dec 24 04:07
Looking at several charts, especially some in chart books, I noticed that there can be a considerable difference between north shown by latitude lines and north shown on the wind rose. As a rule I would use the True bearing shown on the wind rose but my plotter instructions Portland Course Plotter) tells me to use the nearest latitude or longitude line that in some charts are off by over 1 degree. Aren't latitude lines all converging on True North? I realize that perfection is an utopia in navigation but nevertheless I would like some expert practical advice.
Posted 2018, Jan 08 19:35
this test was very confusing
Posted 2018, May 06 13:48
What difference does it make if the mast is keel stepped or deck stepped with the force carried to the keel with a compression post? I have a stainless steel compression post in my main saloon that the table rides up and down on. Handy as a dining table when in the up position or when down an extra berth. The mast would serve the same purpose but would have a greater circumference. Wouldn't it be safer to have one solid mast resting on top of the keel?
Posted 2018, Jul 30 02:26
I believe I understand that moving the fair lead back will cause tightening on the foot, and moving the fairlead forward causes tightening of the leech. So when you move the lead forward, your allowing for the sail shape to pooch or basically the curve between leech and luff to be deeper than it normally would be. Which is logical in light winds. Now for pulling the cars back aft, which would pull on the foot, this tightens the sail at the foot but I get confused on the shape it makes in the top of the sail or this "twist". Does this twist basically make the same deep shape at the top of the sail, or does it actually curve inboard on the leech of the sail? I understand how this causes ineffective use of wind higher up the sail, but trying to image what it would look like in real life. "In this case, in wind, the foot would stay taut and not move much but the leech would "twist" out and away downwind. This is especially prevalent at the top of the jib where there is little tension holding it in place."
Posted 2019, Feb 21 13:26
I think we forget about our creative people a bit too much and how important they are to civilization good points about mentioning artists, poets and others who inspire us.
Posted 2019, Feb 22 18:31
To achieve this with the mainsail pull the traveler to windward and let out on the mainsheet. If one does not have a traveler on their boat, does this work by just letting out on the mainsheet, which releases tension on the sheets allowing the boom to rise? Thanks
Posted 2019, Mar 05 02:05
When i set my sails to the test parameters Main 32, Jib 39 the best red wind is arrow B 6.8. However the test says fail that the best wind is C I reset NED to C and i loose speed down to 4.32? What am I doing wrong?
11 - 20 of 49 threads