I wouldn't stop the engine

I wouldn't stop the engine
Posted 2018, Jan 05 06:05
After a collision, I wouldn't stop the engine. After determining what you ran into you may still need to maneuver to get clear of the object you ran into. Further, if you are holed, water may come up very quickly and take out your electrics: most diesels will continue to run even without electricity, and the cooling pump can be used as an auxiliary bilge pump, even if your electric bilge pumps have failed. If however the engine is stopped and power is then lost, there is very little chance of restarting it, (barring pull or crank start, the reliability of which, in my experience, is inversely related to the urgency of the situation). Much better to leave it in neutral until the situation is assessed, in my opinion.
Add reply
0 0

Replies

Reply 2018, Jan 05 08:10
In regards to the amount of time it takes to set up the engine's raw water intake hose to work as a bilge pump, this should be already set up with screens over your bilge intake hose, with the hose permanently run or stored in a manner consistent to emergency equipment (not stored under your surf and scuba gear). When you need it, you will likely need in fast.
0 0
1 - 1 of 1 replys

Add reply

* - required fields

Please signin first
Add your reply in a positive and constructive manner and tone. Be as specific and clear as possible. Other students will vote your reply up or down depending on its usefulness the clarity. Your comments are always editable.